Dave & Sue

Dave & Sue
On The Job

Sunday, September 29, 2013

In Anticipation of Our Next Move!


We are so near our move date I can almost smell it. Then we are off to, Who Knows Where, for Gate Guard Services for hopefully 6 to 9 months of work. The plan is to then take a couple months off and visit friends and family back in Minnesota, then back South to Texas for the winter again. If they don’t keep us busy enough through this winter, we can always bid on another COE Gate Attendant Job for next summer. So, we have a few options to fall back on.

We have one more day (Monday) to work, then we get to check out on Tuesday morning. This year we have to bring all our paperwork, and anything that has been issued to us over the course of the summer, down to the Corps Office ourselves. Last year we were able to check out right here at the gate house while the Ranger in charge of the Contractors made the rounds to each of the gate houses. I can understand the reasoning behind the change. With about 12 Contractor Teams checking out, the paperwork is less likely to get lost or mixed up with the others.

We have been getting “stuff” packed for the past 5 or 6 days. I don’t know where all this “stuff” comes from! I ended up finding we have 6 hammers; 3 claw and 3 ball-peen. I also came across 3 cordless drills, one of which has dead batteries and a leaf blower with the same problem; time to thin out some “stuff”. New rule in our Motor Home! Out with the old before in with the new! We traded our Rhino Side by Side ATV, for 2 scooters which should equal about a 700 lb. savings and a little more room in the back of the pickup.

We also got the dogs all current with their shots and Lucy is fixed, even though she didn’t know she was broke.
photo (2)
Notice Molly by Sue's feet.

My Dr. appointments are taken care of as well as current prescriptions up to date and the next 3 month supplies delivered on Thursday. Gotta like that Express Scripts Home Delivery. Now I just have to remember to update our address before the next fill time comes around.
We had a slight problem with that address thing when I was in the hospital last April. The Tri Care insurance gets the address of coverage from the Express Scripts information. It wasn’t any problem for Express Scripts to have a physical address and a mailing address, however Tri care picks up the mailing address only so they thought we were living in Minnesota rather than Texas so they weren't going to cover my hospital stay here in Texas. It took several days and a 4 way telephone conference call to figure out the problem, but they finally covered the bill. Thank God, because I don’t know where we would have come up with almost $200,000.
During one of our moves to McCown Day use park, I noticed the Imperial (Motor Home) was running a little hot. Now this was during a cool morning and that trip is only 3 miles, so I was more than a little concerned. About 3 years ago I had taken the rear heater core out and had a leak repaired. Evidently the guy didn’t do a very good job, because it started leaking again about 2 weeks later. When I tried to call the guy he had already gone out of business. As Andy on another blog ( myoldrv.com )puts it, “another 80%er” gone. Well, I made a bad move of my own and put in a couple of bottles of stop leak to hold it over until I could find another repair shop. I guess time got away from me and my mind isn't as sharp as it used to be, so here I am in a predicament I shouldn’t be in.  A few weeks ago we took the Imperial  out for an exercise run and to get the radiator flushed, OH what nasty stuff! It resembled oatmeal coming out of the radiator. The guys at The Valvoline Shop in Whitney did a great job flushing out all that nasty gunk but I am still stuck with the leak in the rear heater core. There’s another item on my to do list before we head out on our new adventure in a few days. I’m going to get a piece of copper tubing to stick between the hoses for the time being. We don’t really need the heat here in Texas anyway. Mother nature is supplying us with plenty yet this fall, although it has cooled down about 20 degrees the past couple of weeks.  Along with the cooler weather comes rain and some very interesting critters.

photo
I think this is a walking stick on the Imperial’s mirror.
Well I best get back on task here!
Thanks for stopping by:
Dave, Sue, Molly, Jody and Lucy



No comments:

Post a Comment