Dave & Sue

Dave & Sue
On The Job

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Day 2 in the hospital
As most of you have already heard, I have suffered my first (and hopefully my last) heart attack. I had been working on a water heater and was pulling real hard on a wrench. Shortly thereafter I was experiencing pain running down my left arm and was trying to convince myself it was a pulled muscle. Later that evening it got worse so I downed a couple aspirin and it helped relieve the pain. Well to make  a long story short, it continued to get worse for the next couple days and I finally decided to tell Sue that I needed to go to the hospital. A quick trip to the ER after work on Thursday evening and a long wait in the waiting room, went without any major problems. Once in the Emergency room they put me on a heart monitor and performed an EKG. It turned out that all the bad foods I've consumed the past 64 years caused a bunch of plaque buildup that prevented oxygen from getting to my heart from my lungs with almost 100% blockage. The Cardiac team was already in the hospital due to a previous coronary emergency, so they had me on the table installing a stent in my coronary artery within 15 minutes. They admitted me to ICU for a night, then transferred me up to a regular room. They started me on some medications to thin my blood an start to get rid of the plaque and on Monday they put in 3 more Stents. There was a little drama in the Cardio room when my IV blew out but otherwise the outcome was good. So there is going to be a diet change as well as a little more exercise in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment